Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Reader’s Advisory Challenge for 2013

As a Young Adult Librarian, I try to read what teens are reading so that I can assist them when they are in my library looking for new books to check out. However, for the last year I have been on a committee that focused my reading all on nonfiction for teens. As a result, I feel I’ve missed some great reads that were published in 2011 and 2012. 
So, for each month of 2013, I will read a 2011 or 2012 YA book in a (sub)genre or format that I normally shy away from. I want to branch out beyond my comfort zone. Here is my plan of action: 
January - Horror
February - Science Fiction
March - High Fantasy
April - Mystery
May - Verse Novel
June - Realistic / Contemporary
July - Historical Fiction
August - Graphic Novel or comic
September - Romance
October - Dystopian
November - Steampunk
December - Humor
After I read each month’s selection, I will post a review here. If you want to play along, please do! I’ll be tagging all my posts with #rac13. 

3 comments:

Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bryan said...

Okay, so just by chance I'm starting to listen to MZB's Mists of Avalon on CD right now. Probably won't get through the whole series, but at least the first volume. And maybe it kind of a semi-classic and not new but hey what can I say.

What are you going to read? We can compare notes.

Angela said...

I read SERAPHINA by Rachel Hartman! I was thinking about reading GAME OF THRONES, but I don't know if I can commit to it right now.